Friday, June 15, 2012

The #WorstFriends Email exchange Part 1


Email one sent by Colin Wednesday, June 13

So I went with BBFG, Blatantly Borrowed From Grantland, as the title but we don't have to keep it.  I do feel that we initially need to establish we are taking this idea from the Simmons/Gladwell email exchange on Grantland.com, which they have done for a number of years.  We have both been discussing doing something like this, but their most recent back and forth finally prompted us to give it a try.

Enough sucking up to the Simmons teet, he needs time to bathe in the tears of a million Boston fans after the Celtics loss to the Heat in the Eastern Conference Championship.  Despite all of the seething LeBron hate and expert analysis (insert your Legler response here) calling for the old balls and chains of the Celtics to topple the Heat, there I was last night sleeping with one eye open until 11:30 p.m. watching Thunder vs Heat in game 1 of the NBA Finals.  We don't have to discuss this series, or the NBA playoffs right now, because I think we are going to touch on that during our next podcast.  It is the overall process of podcast topicography that I would like to discuss.

These past two weeks we have both come to a very congenial decision on what our podcast topics should be, and its safe to say that hasn't always been the case.  Why do you think this is?  Do you think our slight format change where the first segment is basically a free-for-all, allowing smaller topics to be discussed while not taking up the entire episode, has allowed for more variety?  Or have you just finally conceded to the fact that the majority of my ideas and topics are that much more entertaining, provocative, funny and interesting?

Tim’s response, sent Wednesday, June 13 

A couple of things before I respond. First off, were you implying that I was calling for the Icy Hot-lathered Celts to defeat Miami, or was that an easily misunderstood parenthetical placement regarding a Twitter conversation with my close friend Tim Legler? Second, you spelled “teat” incorrectly. And my third point before I respond: I hate the fact that you put two spaces after a period. In journalism, space is a commodity, and it irks me that you would be willing to waste space/paper if we were in fact printing this. Since we aren’t, I’m assuming you are wasting bandwidth/increasing file size. I can’t back up either assumption.

Now for the important stuff. I can only speak for myself concerning the changes, or shall I say, improvements (again, speaking for myself) to the podcast format. By commenting on current events and headline makers in the opening, I think it gives us more opportunities to make smartass wisecracks, at which we excel. In my honest opinion, I feel it better represents the ADD-prisoner-of-the-moment culture we podcast to. As for it allowing for more variety, yes, it does. Short segments about bald baseball coaches (episode 12) and Dennis Quaid (episode 11) in podcasts originally scheduled to discuss “Game of Thrones” and zombie attacks definitely gave our recent podcasts a “something for everybody” touch.

As for your comments at the end that you undoubtedly typed with a smirk on your face — I concede nothing. The zombie outbreak idea was mine, which led to the paradigm shift that will keep the podcast running for years. That episode also included discussion about “The Wire” season 5. Had I not watched it, we never could’ve discussed it — another reason the shift can be credited to me. Part 2 of the “Entourage” podcast (your idea) was downloaded three times.

I’m sure I didn’t answer all of your questions, but I have a tendency to go rogue. I’m an Aquarius. Whatever that means.

Do you like the fact that instead of an hour-long discussion on food and Frank’s Red Hot, we comment on recent occurrences and segue to a longer discussion? You seem resistant to change (not counting the fact that you’re getting marriage, moving or a new dog). What ideas discussed months ago do you think we definitely need to speak on?

No comments:

Post a Comment